Skip to main content

12

This will be my first EVER Blog entry. I have given some consideration to blogging in the past, but I have not ventured into this cozy little venue, until now. I have so much running through my mind at any given time that it is almost impossible for me to choose something to yarn over. My life is often a mess, in one way or another, a confused, yet comfortable place where my family and I butt heads and yell, and yell loudly, but in the end, we always tuck each other in with loving hugs and kisses. So, the name I have chosen, Eclectic Wreckage, is kind of appropriate. So, on with the first entry:

A friend of mine, who has his own blog, wrote, in his latest entry, about a lovely, grown up evening out at a lounge, where he and his friend engaged in adult conversation and some enticing, as he called it, “fried bar food”. He also went on to say how, for the first time in his life, he really felt like a grown up. Now, after reading his blog I immediately commented on it, on Facebook, the new drug of choice for people going through mid life crisis. So here is what I wrote:

I like your blog. But, I wanted to share this theory I have about men. My husband loves this. I think, that no matter, how old you (men) get, you will always remain 12 at heart. Rick (my hubby) and my dad are good examples of this. No matter how old, you never tire of teasing, insulting and perhaps chasing girls with bugs, mud and the like. ... You will always enjoy blowing things up, running things over and jumping off things. Am I right? So, grow up all you like but you will always be 12 to me. : )


It is true; most of the men in my life are 12. I love that! Women can never be 12 or can they? For men, 12 is awkward, it is sweet and irritating all at the same time. It is teasing a girl, because you like her. It will take them years to figure out that this is not the correct procedure for attracting their attention. At 12 a boy is almost perfect, he is fearless, he will jump off the roof on his bike with an umbrella to catch his fall, AND for added precaution he will make sure that he lands in the backyard swimming pool in case the umbrella thing doesn’t work out. At 12 boys don't care about what they look like, how they dress, or what others think of them. At 12 boys are spontaneous, they are uninhibited and they are still child like. They are on the precipice of their sexuality, they are clumsy in it and they don't care. Men are 12. 12 is good.

There are many instances of 12 that I have experienced in my own life, with my father, and both of my husbands as well as my boss, my brother, my brother-in-law and the occasional neighbor. There are far too many to mention, it will be my goal to point them out from time to time when the mood strikes, but for now, I will begin with my particular favorite, fire.

Men like to burn things! My husband loves nothing more than to burn whatever he can in our back yard fire pit. Burning things is good, it is primal. It lends to their inner caveman to have control over something that they cannot really control. They also like to put things in the fire and make the fire do stuff. For instance, did you know that if you put stereo wire in the campfire, it will make psychedelic colored flames? Fire is also necessary for another favorite of the 12 year old, fireworks, firecrackers, stink bombs, smoke bombs etc. If there is no other reason to partake in the fire, it is for the fireworks. What could possibly be better than watching my husband every Fourth of July in the humid darkenss of our backyard setting off the assortment of fireowrks that we would have procured from the giant tent in the local Wal-Mart parking lot. The 12 year old comes out to play that night and it makes me happy to see him, in all his glory, campfire on one side, giant pile of used fireworks on the other, outdoor bic lighter in his hand asking me "what's next?" So, fire is good, it is 12. 12 is good!

But, back to my question; can women be 12? I think so, sometimes, but for girls, being 12 is like being in the DMZ in Vietnam, during the Tet offensive. Girls are ugly, they are mean, wicked bitches. They are competitive beyond belief with each other and they are hateful.I speak from experience. They scheme in their beds at night about how they can get back at so and so for doing such and such. It was probably something stupid. Looking back, it was all so stupid. So, yes, I think women can be 12, I think that some women are always going to be 12, displaying their junior high school behavior in the real world every day. This is why it is so hard for me to work in an office with more than one other woman of the same ilk. I like men, they don’t take things personally, you don’t have to wonder if they think your outfit is cute, or if your butt looks too big in those pants, in truth, they really don’t care. They are more interested in the new episode of Mythbusters that will come on this week where they will determine if you can dip your finger into certain molten metals without burning your finger off.

In short, men are 12, they will always be 12. I love them for that. I don’t want them to change. Except when we go out to a nice dinner. Then I would really appreciate it if they did not blow their straw papers at me from the other side of the table.

Comments

  1. Let me be your first comment AND your first follower! Absolutely wonderful post!!! And the funny thing is that I think I've encountered at least as many adult 12 year old girls as boys in the workplace.
    Welcome to the Blogosphere, Noreen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. You quite a good little writer. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Visit to Christmas Town, A Busch Gardens Celebration

On Friday, November 26 th , 2010 , Christmas Town , a Busch Gardens Celebration opened.   This was their second year putting on such a celebration.   I had been anticipating attending for the last three months and the day finally came.   I loaded up my family and my parents along with one of my daughter’s friends, the day after Thanksgiving for the 4 hour drive to Williamsburg, VA .   We opted out of the “Black Friday” madness going on in retail stores everywhere to trek northward from our North Carolina hometown of New Bern , to join the festivities. Now, I must say my mother and I share a birthday on November 26 th and my oldest daughter has her birthday on November 28 th so this weekend was the perfect opportunity to escape and celebrate in a different way than ever before.   Everyone was excited.   My mother especially was talking about the trip for weeks prior to our leaving and I had never really seen her that way before.   Having been to the park 3 times in as many mont

Little Things; A Lottery of Emotion, Passion, Patriotism, Love and Friendship

You know how, when you are younger the grown ups talk about how when you get older you will appreciate things more? Well now that I am the grown up(oh shit) I realize they were right. DAMMIT! Just one more thing for my mother to say "I told you so" to. But really, I sit here is a rather introspective mood in a retrospective place and think about how the little things are so very important. For anyone that knows me, I am a highly emotional person. I cry at the drop of a hat. I am moved to tears by a great piece of music, or lyrics. I cry at points in action movies that remind me of little things in my own life. Silly I know. I have a no animal movie rule in my house. If my kids want to watch an animal movie, they have to do it without me and forget Animal Planet. Old Yeller is strictly forbidden in my home and I feel like making your child watch it is tantamount to child abuse. Animals give unconditional love. They are innocent creatures who do not hate, they do n